Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tab Complete in Windows

Another one of those things that I can never remember off the top of my head so find myself constantly looking it up whenever I get access to a new machine.

I figure it may as well be my own site that I get the info from :-)

To switch on 'Tab Complete' in Windows command line change the following registry keys to '09':
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\PathCompletionChar

6 comments:

Noons said...

or at the command line, type:
cmd /?
and read the help info, the second and third screens have this information as well. At least with XP Pro they do.
;-)

Rob Baillie said...

Brilliant!

I had no idea.

Cheers Noons

Anonymous said...

TweakUI from microsoft would have the graphical user interface for this.

John Chen said...

This Microsoft feature was introduce by DOSKey in MS-DOS 4.0 (I believe). It was after Norton Utilities introduce such feature in their version 5.0 2 years earlier.

This feature was handy, but the slow floppy disk respond stop many users from using it.

I was using a lot of disk cache utilities at that time, and manage to by pass unnecessary disk reading by Norton Utilities.

Anyway, I don't know there is an registry setting either. Nice discovery, or research.

- John Sing-Cheong CHEN, DBA, The Pythian Group, Ottawa, Canada

Andrew Beacock said...

TweakUI is definitely the way to go, that along with many other 'hidden' fields!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Rob Baillie said...

Andy.

Very cool. Cheers.