Monday, February 28, 2005

Fundamentally, there are no No-Brainers

I've just started reading Mike Mason's new book on implementing version control using Subversion.

It's a nice easy read that starts from the fundamentals of why we use version control; it's got a really nice little illustration of how and why version control works. As any book on version control will, it mentions software configuration management, and on that topic it mentions the great book 'Software Configuration Management Patterns', which I remember Mike suggesting I read when I first described to him what Oracle development workspaces are normally like.

That little reminder made me think back to when a lot of what I do now wasn't anywhere near on my radar. I knew that I did things badly, but I wasn't sure how it could be fixed. A lot of things that I do now, that I think of as 'no-brainers', are things that I hadn't even considered.

It got me thinking that maybe it's time I took a step back and looked at how we've set up our workspace. I figure it's time for an honest appraisal. Hopefully I'll even spot something that can be improved upon.

It's reminded me that it's worth reading books on the things we regard as 'fundamental' every now and again for just this reason. It reminds us why we do what we do, and why we do it the way we do it, and that we need to think about both those things even if we regard those things as 'no-brainers'.

Also, it made me think that maybe I should describe our workspace setup in a future blog entry, to sanity check it and see if it's of use to anyone else. Mike may have pointed out that it's not as standard as I might like to think...

No comments: